Traffic Calming and Traffic Safety

City staff is dedicated to improving and controlling traffic flow as well as providing safe routes through the City. Staff monitors problem areas and has developed "traffic calming" measures to mitigate areas of concern. A few Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are listed below:

Issue: I live on a residential street and drivers speed up and down it all the time.
 When a complaint is received, staff deploys a RADAR trailer or other driver feedback device. The intent is to remind drivers exactly how fast they are going to make them aware that they are traveling too fast. At the same time, the Police Department's Traffic Enforcement Section is notified to monitor the neighborhood. This combination of education and enforcement has been very effective.
Issue: I live near a school and people are parking in my neighborhood instead of in the school parking lot. They are becoming a nuisance - what can I do?
 Staff has developed a Preferential Permit Parking Program that allows the City to designate certain streets for parking by permit only. This program has advantages and disadvantages. For more information about this program please click here or call us at (951) 736-2266.

Issue: I saw school children crossing a busy street. They almost got hit. What can you do to help protect the children?
Staff has developed and implemented a successful education program with Corona schools that identifies and teaches parents and children where the safest places to cross a street are located. Often this solves the problem. However, if more effort is needed, staff investigates the need of a crosswalk and/or crossing guard. Special care is taken to install crosswalks following the guidelines and warrants set by the state and federal transportation agencies. Remember, crosswalks are just painted lines that can provide a false sense of security. Crossing guards also need to meet state and federal requirements before being considered. For more information please contact us at (951) 736-2266. 

To contact the City of Corona Traffic Engineering please call us at (951) 736-2266 or e-mail us at or use the online Public Works Service Request Form.

E-mail the Public Works Department 

Return to Public Works main page